I want to start with a big thank you to all who have come out to see me as Olive Madison in The Odd Couple (Female Version). This show has been so fun to both prepare and perform, and I am thrilled that many of you have been able to laugh at the show. If you haven’t gotten tickets for this weekend yet, as of 8:30 this morning there were only 3 left – you can get them at sbct.biz.
In our very full service on Sunday, we had the opportunity to install our newly elected elders, remember our baptisms, and celebrate the Lord’s Supper. It was a wonderful morning of remembering why we do the things we do as beloved children of God.
In his baptism, Jesus’s identity was made known, but in addition, Jesus was identifying himself with humanity and being obedient to the one he called Father. In our baptism, we, too, are identified as beloved children of God, and we are also united with Christ in mission for the world. When we remember our baptism, this is what we remember, and that remembrance becomes a kind of impetus to live into those we have been called to be.
As we move into 2023, may we truly live as those who have been baptized into the family of God, through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
For those unable to join us in-person, Sunday morning worship is livestreamed on our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/GulfShoresFirstPresbyterianChurch. The service airs each Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and will be available to watch after that as well.
Last night we had our first Session meeting of 2023, where we welcomed new Ruling Elders, Billy Adcock, Thelma Considine, and Michael Ennen as well as expressed gratitude for the work Kim Josephson and Pam Winstead have given for the last three years. Billy, Thelma, and Michael join Sandy Moody, Lorrie Palmer (Clerk of Session), and Suzanne Trice as those elders serving on Session for 2023.
At our Session meeting, I shared about the wonderful opportunity I have had over the last two school years to be part of the Kids Hope Mentoring program at Gulf Shores City Schools. This ecumenical endeavor, with participants from many Gulf Shores churches, is so worthwhile and I would encourage anyone who is available for one hour on Tuesday afternoons during the school year to get involved. Each mentor has one child that they meet with exclusively from 2-3 p.m. each Tuesday, to talk, to play games, maybe to help with a bit of homework, and generally build a relationship with a child who is in need of just a little more one-on-one attention. I look forward to the time I get to spend with my little guy, and every week he makes me smile in some new way. He has told me multiple times that he only likes to come to school on Tuesdays, because he knows he will get to see me. When you are ready to be a part of this program, reach out to me and I will get you the necessary information. Believe me, you won’t regret it!
While our six full-time office spaces are FULL, Hand-in-Hand Business Center is working on more ways to serve small businesses and entrepreneurs in our community. Soon we will have conference room space that will be available for use, and co-working spaces are also in the works. We are also creating a wait-list for those interested in office space. Also, we are partering with other local organizations to host a “Starting Your Business in Baldwin County” seminar on January 24. Spread the word to anyone you know who may be interested.
- If you know of those who need a place to park during their visit to Gulf Shores and they would like to use our parking lot, here is the link to share: https://www.premiumparking.com/P2658. You can also pick up postcards at the church to pass on to those who might be interested.
- Keep collecting that loose change and bring it every week to add to the collection! All of the loose change will go toward the ongoing ministry of the church, as we continue to spread the life-changing good news of God’s love.
- Want to help the church just by doing your normal Amazon shopping? Now you can! Just go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/63-0859397 and make all your purchases through this link! Each quarter the church will receive a donation equal to 0.5% of your total purchases. You can also set it up so the Amazon app on your phone automatically purchases through Amazon Smile. For help setting that up, see this link: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15576745011.
- The church can now receive donations through Facebook, either by clicking on the “Donate” button on our Facebook Page, or through Fundraisers you can host on your own Facebook page.
- If you have more ideas about how we can creatively fund the ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Gulf Shores, reach out and let me know!
- For safety reasons, at 11:00 a.m. each Sunday, all the doors of the building will be locked EXCEPT the north door that leads into the narthex. If you find yourself running behind, just remember to park up front by that door and enter there.
- Bring your Blessing Box donations (non-perishable items) to church on Sundays or drop them off at the box during the week.
- GCAA Art Markets – January 14 and February 11, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Annual Congregational Meeting – January 22 immediately following worship.
- January 29 – Special Guest Preacher, Rev. Bob Madsen, Regional Presbyter and lunch following worship – details forthcoming
- Presbyterian Pints – February 5 following worship at Big Beach Brewing
- Red Cross Blood Drive – February 14, 1:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Combined Choir Concert – February date TBA
- Chair Yoga led by Donna Holmes – Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Bible Study – Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. both in-person and on Zoom.
- Join the in-person group in the church Fellowship Hall
- Join the Zoom meeting at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81951398375?pwd=S0FBSEFxRmhhUWt2QnN3WERUY1dOUT09, entering the meeting ID and password below, if prompted.
- Meeting ID: 819 5139 8375; Passcode: 846358
- Today’s scriptures: Isaiah 49:1-7; Psalm 40:1-11; I Corinthians 1:1-9; John 1:29-42
As always, you are welcome to reach out to me via email, text or phone with any needs or just to chat!
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord!
Rev. Chrisy Ennen
email@example.com, (618) 980-9899
"Let all that you do be done in love.”
I Corinthians 16:14
Posted in Pastor\'s Pen