After two years of living here, our family finally got to experience the Shrimp Festival! Mike and I made our way down there Sunday after church, enjoyed some fresh-squeezed lemonade, and strolled around the grounds. It was a lovely day and we were glad to participate in this annual tradition that has been on hiatus due to COVID.
Sunday morning, we considered the first part of Jeremiah 29, a letter Jeremiah sent to the exiles who had been taken from Jerusalem and to Babylon. Instead of giving them a word of comfort like some of the other (false) prophets had been doing, Jeremiah spoke for God and told the people that they needed to put roots down right where they were because God had carried them there for a purpose, and they were to do whatever was necessary to seek the welfare of Babylon, because as the city prospered, they, too, would prosper.
Encountering this text from Sunday’s lectionary passages on the heels of our trip to San Antonio was what I called on Sunday, a “God-wink,” a moment in which God affirmed that what we are seeking to do with our space is most definitely a work of seeking the welfare of our community. I recounted a number of reports of how people in San Antonio are embarking upon social enterprises and various other projects for the good of the city, and called us to continue not only developing the business center, but also seeing the needs in our community and working to meet them.
I closed by reading the lyrics to Joy Oladokun’s song, “If You Got a Problem,” of which the chorus says:
If you got a problem
I got a problem too
If you're standin' at the bottom
I'll reach out for you
If you need someone to lean on
Baby, I can be strong
I will carry you through
If you got a problem
I got a problem too
This is what it means to seek the welfare of others.
For those unable to join us in-person, Sunday morning worship is livestreamed on our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/GulfShoresFirstPresbyterianChurch. The service airs each Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and will be available to watch after that as well.
We now have two of our classrooms-turned-office-space filled with full-time residents! Craft Farms POA and Red Door Marketing Agency are our first two businesses to occupy our space, with others contacting us to set up visits about the possibility of sharing our space. If you know of someone looking for office space, have them reach out to me and we will see how we can meet their needs.
- If you know of those who need a place to park during their visit to Gulf Shores and they would like to use our parking lot, here is the link to share: https://www.premiumparking.com/P2658. You can also pick up postcards at the church to pass on to those who might be interested.
- Our first CHANGE4CHANGE CASH-IN netted over $350! But let’s not stop there! Keep collecting that loose change and bring it every week to add to the collection! All of the loose change will go toward the ongoing ministry of the church, as we continue to spread the life-changing good news of God’s love.
- Want to help the church just by doing your normal Amazon shopping? Now you can! Just go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/63-0859397 and make all your purchases through this link! Each quarter the church will receive a donation equal to 0.5% of your total purchases. You can also set it up so the Amazon app on your phone automatically purchases through Amazon Smile. For help setting that up, see this link: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15576745011.
- The church can now receive donations through Facebook, either by clicking on the “Donate” button on our Facebook Page, or through Fundraisers you can host on your own Facebook page.
- If you have more ideas about how we can creatively fund the ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Gulf Shores, reach out and let me know!
- For safety reasons, at 11:00 a.m. each Sunday, all the doors of the building will be locked EXCEPT the north door that leads into the narthex. If you find yourself running behind, just remember to park up front by that door and enter there.
Thank you for your continued support of the Blessing Box! With the current inflation, we are struggling to keep it filled. Your donations are desperately needed. Keep bringing those non-perishable items to church on Sunday, or dropping them at the box during the week. With rising costs of everything from gas to food, the box is being used very regularly, and your donations are key to helping us bless those who are in need of what our box can offer.
- Outdoor Worship and Blessing of the Pets will be held on Sunday, October 9, at 11:00 a.m. Bring your pets to an outdoor worship service celebrating God’s creation and our animals. Bring a lawn chair if you wish to sit outside, or feel free stay in your car and listen via a radio connection. Pets will receive individual blessings during the worship service. All are welcome!
- A Red Cross Blood Drive will be held in the Fellowship Hall on Thursday, October 27, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Make your appointment at redcrossblood.org.
- On Sunday, November 6, we will celebrate communion, observe All Saints Day, and gather after worship at Big Beach Brewing for Presbyterian Pints. Don’t forget to invite a friend or two to join us for worship and fellowship on that Sunday!
- Stewardship Sunday will be Sunday, November 13. Be watching for more information to come.
- After worship on Sunday, November 13, a congregational meeting will be held for the purpose of electing officers for the new year. Please plan now to attend.
- Bible Study – Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. both in-person and on Zoom.
- Join the in-person group in the church Fellowship Hall
- Join the Zoom meeting at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81951398375?pwd=S0FBSEFxRmhhUWt2QnN3WERUY1dOUT09, entering the meeting ID and password below, if prompted.
- Meeting ID: 819 5139 8375
- Passcode: 846358
- This week’s scriptures: Genesis 2:7-8; 18-20a, Luke 15:3-6
As always, you are welcome to reach out to me via email, text or phone with any needs or just to chat!
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord!
Rev. Chrisy Ennen
firstname.lastname@example.org, (618) 980-9899
"Let all that you do be done in love.”
I Corinthians 16:14
Posted in Pastor\'s Pen